Your Ad Here

Radomir Antic, Serbia coach: ‘We’ll discuss South Africa next 1 May’


The 1 May public holiday is a time for family reunions for Serbia national football team coach Radomir Antic, but he is also well into preparations for the next phase of the World Cup qualifying campaign in June. Antic’s aim will be to mobilize his squad to continue their fine form after the 3-2 win away in Romania.

- “The 1 May is the holiday of my childhood and it brings me back to my hometown of Uzice, when we would always wear something new and polished and the whole atmosphere of the holiday was festive and beautiful.”

Later in life, during your playing and coaching careers, you did not have much time to relax this way?
- “It was never like in the childhood days. I love the tradition and, ultimately, the cultural background of a nation is illustrated through celebrating certain dates.”


What will you be talking about on 1 May next year?
- “[Laughs] We need to fight to get to that. I am optimistic, as I’ve always been, and all that we’re doing right now seems to be going in that direction. I would love to talk about our place in South Africa next May, with Serbia qualified for the World Cup.”

As a prelude for the holiday, Partizan have sealed their 21st domestic league title.
- “Together with the entire Serbia coaching staff, I congratulated Partizan on the achievement. The result sets new goals for the team, but I believe the people at Partizan can recognize the chance and deliver.”

Is this a chance to see a Serbian club in the Champions League after 6 years?
- “The changes to the competition format leave a certain chance, but it’s not realistic to talk about August in April. All I know the global financial crisis will find its way to hit football, and how it will affect the Serbian clubs, we’ll see.”

Red Star have dismembered yet another club board. How do you view the situation there, given that a Serbia national team player Nenad Milijas has said there is a chance he might sue the club over unpaid wages?
- “Nenad’s behaviour is beyond football, while I spotted his qualities even before he played for the national team for the first time. He has been the topic of discussion lately”

Have you been contacted by foreign clubs to give an opinion on Milijas?
- “I wouldn’t want to be the one to reveal anything. It will be enough to say I have no worries about Milijas.”

Maybe you will be able to monitor Milijas’ performances closely next season in Spain?
- “Anything is possible.”

You have more than a month before the World Cup qualifications resume.
- “Some of the national leagues end very soon, which does present a problem. We are now pondering our options on how to bridge that idle period before the team assembles for the Austria and Faroe Islands double-header. We are taking this very seriously,” said Antic.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Glory of Fellowland

Your Ad Here

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP